Frequently Asked Questions

Question:  I am a non-Kyrgyz citizen living in the Kyrgyz Republic and interested in seeking asylum or refugee status in the United States.  Can I apply through the U.S. Embassy in Bishkek?


The Embassy of the United States in Bishkek does not process requests for asylum or refugee status.

To apply for refugee status for non-Kyrgyz citizens in the Kyrgyz Republic:

  1. First, you need to obtain refugee status at the Ministry on Labor and Migration: Chui Ave. 160, tel. 623978; e-mail:; web:
  2. Persons with refugee status may appeal to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees at Chui Ave. 160, tel. +996 312 61 12 64 /65/ 66/ 67, e-mail; web: and/ or to International Organization for Migration at 103 Ibraimov street, Business Center “Victory,” Bishkek, the Kyrgyz Republic, +996 312 988011/12/13.  Email:

If you travel outside of the Kyrgyz Republic, you may seek the assistance of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).  The nearest UNHCR office to Bishkek is in Almaty, Kazakhstan, and is located at 303 Baizakov street, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 050040/A15G7T0, tel: +7 (727)  258-45-98; fax: +7 (727) 258-39-82; е-mail:

Should you choose to apply for refugee status with UNHCR, you would need to demonstrate that you meet the international definition of a refugee.  According to international law, that definition is:  a person outside of his / her country of nationality or outside his / her habitual residence, who is unwilling or unable to return to that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution based on race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion.

Once you have contacted the UNHCR office in the country you enter, they will be able to guide you through the process of applying for refugee states, if you are eligible.

The Embassy of the United States in Bishkek cannot accept or process applications for refugees at our Embassy, nor does it process requests for asylum.