On June 25, the U.S. Department of State released the 2020 Trafficking in Persons Report, an annual report that highlights progress and setbacks in addressing human trafficking across the globe. This year’s report acknowledges key achievements in 2019 by the Kyrgyz government to address human trafficking, including:
- the adoption of the National Referral Mechanism, establishing formal policies on victim identification, and the provision of social services;
- an increased number of trafficking investigations related to labor and sexual exploitation;
- the establishment of an interagency focus group to accelerate the implementation of the National Referral Mechanism;
- the acceptance by the courts of oral testimony given to an investigative judge;
- an increase in efforts to protect victims;
- new standards for the treatment of and provision of assistance to children in the National Referral Mechanism;
- and intensified efforts to prevent trafficking.
U.S. Ambassador to the Kyrgyz Republic Donald Lu noted, “The trafficking in persons report showcases the Kyrgyz Republic’s efforts to fight trafficking last year, particularly the adoption of the National Referral Mechanism. When fully implemented, it will improve identification of and support for victims of human trafficking. We hope that with this new referral mechanism, Kyrgyz authorities will vigorously pursue trafficking investigations and prosecute the perpetrators of these crimes.”
The Trafficking in Persons Report (TIP Report) is the U.S. government’s principal diplomatic tool to engage foreign governments on human trafficking. The report includes recommendations for the Kyrgyz Republic based on international best practices. It is also the world’s most comprehensive resource of governmental anti-trafficking efforts and reflects the U.S. government’s commitment to global leadership on this key human rights and law enforcement issue https://www.state.gov/trafficking-in-persons-report/.
Russian translations of the Kyrgyz Republic’s country narrative is available here https://kg.usembassy.gov/ru/our-relationship-ru/official-reports-ru/. The U.S. Embassy in the Kyrgyz Republic will post the Kyrgyz translation soon on its website at https://kg.usembassy.gov/ky/.