Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

The following is information for U.S. citizens who are planning to marry a Kyrgyz citizen in the Kyrgyz Republic. 

Marriage in the Kyrgyz Republic

American diplomatic and consular officers are not permitted to perform marriages.  International marriages in the Kyrgyz Republic are performed by the “ZAGS” (tel.: 287996, 287808) marriage registration office located at the corner of Jumabeka (former Ivanitsina) and Abdrakhmanova (former Sovetskyaya) Streets in Bishkek.  Marriages which are legally performed and valid in the Kyrgyz Republic are also legally valid in the United States.

In order to perform a marriage between an American citizen and a national of the Kyrgyz Republic, ZAGS requires the following documentation:

  • Valid passport,
  • Original birth certificates,
  • Original divorce decrees and/or original death certificates if applicable, and
  • An affidavit from the U.S. Embassy stating that the U.S. citizen is free to marry.
  • Any documents that are not in Russian should also have original certified translations.

The Affidavit of Free to Marry can be acquired at the Consular Section.  This service is performed by appointment only.  Click here to make an appointment for notarial services.  The fee for this service is $50.00.  The affidavit obtained from the U.S. Embassy must be authenticated at the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kyrgyz Republic at 10 Togolok Moldo Street, Bishkek.  The authentication service fee is 300 soms and is available from 11:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. from Monday through Friday, except Wednesday (ask for Chief or employee of Legal Section).  The fee should be paid at the “Aiyl Bank” affiliate at 50 Pushkin Str., Bishkek.  The waiting period for the authentication is one week.  The Ministry of Foreign Affairs offers expedited processing of documents in 3 days for 600 som.

I-130  Petition for Alien Relative

After the valid marriage has been concluded by ZAGS and the marriage certificate issued, U.S. Citizens can file the I-130 Petition for their spouse, with a USCIS office in the United States.  For application forms and more details please visit USCIS webpage.

Address For U.S. Postal Service Delivery of Documents:

P.O. Box 804625
Chicago, IL 60680-4107

Address For Express Mail and Courier Deliveries of Documents:

Attn: I-130
131 South Dearborn – 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

U.S. Immigrant Visa

Applicants with an approved I-130 petition must get a U.S. immigrant visa in order to be able to enter the United States.  Immigrant visa applications for nationals of the Kyrgyz Republic are processed by the Consular section in Bishkek.  Approved I-130 Petitions for alien relatives of U.S. citizens are mailed to the Consular section of the US Embassy in Bishkek for an immigrant visa interview by USCIS.  It is not necessary that the American citizens to be present at the immigrant visa interview of their spouse.   Contact information for the Consular section in Bishkekis below:

Telephone: +996312597000

Address: 171, Prospect Mira. Bishkek


Once the immigrant visa is issued, applicants have six months to enter the United States.  The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will provide additional instructions regarding applying for a Green Card and Naturalization, once the applicant has entered the United States.

Documents Required for an Immigrant Visa

The Consular section in Bishkek will send applicants information on requirements once they receive the approved petition.  Generally, the required documents for the interview are:

  1. DS-260 Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration
  2. Original passports for each beneficiary
  3. Original birth certificate, a copy of the certificate, and a certified translation to English
  4. Original birth certificate of the U.S. petitioner, and a certified translation to English (if applicable), if the applicants are parents or siblings of the U.S. petitioner
  5. Original marriage certificate (if applicable), a copy, and a certified translation to English.  Note:  If the visa applicant is the step-child of a U.S. citizen, an original marriage certificate of the non-U.S. citizen with the U.S. citizen step-parent must be submitted along with a copy, and a certified translation to English.
  6. Original divorce certificates for all prior marriages (if applicable), a copy and a certified translation to English
  • Note for Immediate Relative based visas (for both the petitioner and beneficiary):  A certified copy may be accepted in lieu of an original divorce certificate for the U.S. citizen, but a copy is unacceptable.  If the visa applicant is a child and either the petitioner or the child’s parent were previously married, an original divorce decree/death certificate of each parent must be submitted with a copy and translation.
  1. Police Certificates from every place the applicant has lived for longer than six months after the age of 16 and a certified translation to English. Police certificates should include the applicant’s current name as well as all prior names, such as maiden names.
  2. Court and Prison Records (if applicable) and a certified translation to English
  3. Military Records (if applicable), a copy, and a certified translation to English
  4.  Medical Records and Immunization/Shot records (the medical form is provided in a sealed envelope by SOS Clinic, the Embassy-approved panel physician); please take your immunization record to your medical appointment
  5. One full face color photo 5×5 cm for each applicant on a white background
  6. Evidence of qualification for the visa (for employment based visas only)
  7. Evidence of financial support (for immediate relative and family based visas only) – for each applicant (Form I-864 (PDF 511 KB)) with supporting documentation from the petitioner: a certified copy of the most recent income tax return (Form 1040 and Form W-2) or an IRS-generated transcript
  8.  Immigrant visa processing fee (currently $404) is paid in U.S. CASH ONLY on the day of the interview, unless the $404 fee was already paid to the National Visa Center (NVC)

Originals of all documents will be returned during the interview.

Translation of Documents

Applicants should present to the interviewing consular officer both an original and a photocopy of each document shown above.  All documents must be accompanied by English translation.  The translation and copies of documents do not have to be certified by the U.S. Embassy.

English translations of all foreign language documents are required.  Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation and a certification by the translator stating that:

  • The translation is complete and correct; and
  • The translator is competent to translate the foreign language into English.

Immigrant Visa Processing Fees

  • I-130 Petition Application         $535
  • Immigrant Visa Application      $325
  • Medical Examination                 $200

TOTAL $1094

U.S. Nonimmigrant Visa for Spouses (K-3 Visa)

Since November 2001, The Legal Immigration and Family Act (LIFE Act) created new categories of nonimmigrant visas, which benefit certain spouses and children of U.S. citizens (K-3, K-4).  Under this act, holders of a K-3 or K-4 visa may enter the United States as nonimmigrants to rejoin family members, pending approval of an immigrant visa.  The applicant may later apply for adjustment of the status in the United States, or for an immigrant visa at the appropriate consular office abroad.

In order to qualify for a K-3 or K-4, the following requirements must be met:

  • The applicant must be the spouse or child of a U.S. Citizen;
  • The U.S. citizen spouse must file an I-130 petition with the USCIS (in the U.S.);
  • The applicant must not yet have been scheduled for an immigrant visa interview at a consular post abroad or with USCIS for adjustment;
  • The U.S. citizen spouse must file an I-129F petition with the Missouri Service Center (MSC).

Please Note:  If an applicant has already been scheduled for an immigrant visa or adjustment interview, either with a consular office or USCIS, the applicant may not apply for a K-3 visa.  He or she must continue processing the immigrant visa.

For further information on filing an I-129F for K-3 (or K-4) status, please contact the

Missouri Service Center (MSC)

P.O. Box 7216
Chicago, IL 60680-7216
Customer Service Telephone: (800) 375-5283

Information is also available through the USCIS website at:

If your marriage took place in the Kyrgyz Republic, the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bishkek is authorized to process your K-3 application.  We will commence processing and contact you regarding the steps to take for final issuance when the approved I-129F is received from NVC.

For more questions, please contact the Consular Section at 312 59 7000, 312 59 7000.

U.S. Embassy Bishkek
Attn: Consular Section
171 Prospect Mira
Bishkek, 720016