The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Kyrgyz Republic would like to bring to the attention of U.S. citizens residing or traveling in Kyrgyz Republic the following security message regarding the upcoming parliamentary elections:
On October 4, the Kyrgyz Republic will hold parliamentary elections throughout the country. These events will likely lead to an increased police presence, and foot and motor traffic in and around polling areas.
While the U.S. Embassy has no information indicating that there will be election-related violence, it is important to remember that even gatherings intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kyrgyzstan Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kyrgyzstan, located at 171 Prospect Mira, Bishkek 720016, at +(996) (312) 551-241, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(996) (312) 551-262.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.