The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Kyrgyz Republic would like to bring to the attention of U.S. citizens residing or traveling in Kyrgyz Republic the following security message regarding the soccer match between Kyrgyzstan and Jordan:
On Tuesday, November 17 at 20:00, a soccer match between Kyrgyzstan and Jordan will take place at the Central Stadium in Bishkek. The stadium will be open to ticket holders beginning at 1700. The stadium has a capacity of 19,000 people, so expect large crowds, traffic jams, and a significant security presence.
Unexpectedly large crowds at some previous matches led the police to close the stadium doors early causing protests from fans outside the stadium. U.S. citizens should exercise caution and leave immediately if they feel that the security situation appears unstable.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Kyrgyzstan Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kyrgyzstan, located at 171 Prospect Mira, Bishkek 720016, at +(996) (312) 551-241, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(996) (312) 551-262.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.