An official website of the United States government

Marriage in the Kyrgyz Republic

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.


American diplomatic and consular officers are not permitted to perform marriages.  International marriages in the Kyrgyz Republic are performed by the “ZAGS” (tel.: 287996, 287808) marriage registration office located at the corner of Jumabeka (former Ivanitsina) and Abdrakhmanova (former Sovetskyaya) Streets in Bishkek.  Marriages which are legally performed and valid in the Kyrgyz Republic are also legally valid in the United States.

In order to perform a marriage between an American citizen and a national of the Kyrgyz Republic, ZAGS requires the following documentation:

  • Valid passport;
  • Original birth certificates;
  • Original divorce decrees and/or original death certificates, if applicable; and
  • An apostilled certification from a local or state authority stating that the U.S. citizen is unmarried.
  • Any documents that are not in Russian should also have original certified translations.

As of 14 April 2023, the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will no longer accept affidavits of free to marry that have been executed at the U.S. Embassy; please contact the Consular Section for additional information.  The Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kyrgyz Republic is located at 10 Togolok Moldo Street, Bishkek.  Documents that require authentication may be presented at this location.  An authentication service fee is 300 soms and is available from 11:00 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. from Monday through Friday, except Wednesday (ask for Chief or employee of Legal Section).  The fee should be paid at the “Aiyl Bank” affiliate at 50 Pushkin Str., Bishkek.  The waiting period for the authentication is one week.  The Ministry of Foreign Affairs offers expedited processing of documents in 3 days for 600 som.

I-130  Petition for Alien Relative

After the valid marriage has been concluded by ZAGS and the marriage certificate issued, U.S. Citizens can file the I-130 Petition for their spouse, with a USCIS office in the United States.  For application forms and more details please visit USCIS webpage.

U.S. Immigrant Visa

Applicants with an approved I-130 petition must get a U.S. immigrant visa in order to be able to enter the United States.  For more information on immigrant visas, please see U.S. Embassy Bishkek’s immigrant visa webpage.