The 2021 Book Translation Program is no longer accepting proposals. The information on this website is available for reference only.
The Public Affairs Section (PAS) of U.S. Embassy in the Kyrgyz Republic is pleased to announce the call for proposals for the 2021 Book Translation Program (BTP). PAS is soliciting proposals from publishing houses, academic institutions and non-governmental organizations to publish books by American authors and/or books reflecting U.S. values, translated into the Kyrgyz language or jointly into Kyrgyz and English languages. The program provides funding for the copyright acquisition (if required), translation, printing, and distribution of the title, along with follow-up programming, such as trainings, mater-classes, website creation, contests, etc. PAS expects to fund two awards with an average award amount of $25,000 per title, with a minimum print run of 3,000 copies. Books will be distributed by the grantee, U.S. Embassy, and partners to educational institutions, public libraries and American Spaces throughout the Kyrgyz Republic. The program will fund awards on a competitive basis conducted by panel review.
FY2021 proposals may include fiction or non-fiction titles and must focus on one or more of the following themes:
- STEAM: Includes any combination of science, technology, engineering, art and math.
- Environmental Conservation: Primarily focused on raising awareness of the need to protect the environment, and how to accomplish that.
- Business Empowerment and Social entrepreneurship: Includes economic independence, business empowerment, and sustainable development, ideally targeted towards marginalized groups, underrepresented groups, and vulnerable populations to improve the business climate.
- Civic Engagement and Rural to Urban Migrations: Raising awareness of civic engagement, especially regarding issues related to rural to urban migration, and the marginalization of rural communities.
Priority Audience: Primarily Kyrgyz language speaking young professionals and youth aged 10-25.
A complete application package must be submitted in English to include:
- SF424 and SF424a
- Applicant Organizational Information Sheet
- Application form (using the template provided)
- Budget proposal (using the template provided)
- One-page CV for project’s key personnel (Note: Please do not include personal information such as dates of birth or home addresses)
- A copy of the applicant organization’s legal registration
Application packages must be submitted electronically to BishkekProjectProposals@state.gov by 17:00, June 25, 2021. All proposals must include a two-year timeline for the project to allow for lengthy copyright negotiations.
Note: any files over 10MB will be automatically rejected by the email system.
For more information, please contact Public Affairs Section by e-mail: PASBishkek@america.gov with the subject line “2021 Book Translation Program.”
Applicants are encouraged to check the list of previously translated titles. Applicants may not propose titles already included in this list.
For more detailed information on program’s requirements, target audiences, goals and objectives, please see Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) (Microsoft Word, 47 KB) attached.