The 2022 Annual Public Affairs Grant Program is no longer accepting proposals. The information on this website is available for reference only. We expect to announce the next call for proposals in early 2023.
The Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the U.S. Embassy Bishkek is pleased to announce funding is available as specified below through the Embassy’s Public Diplomacy Grants program. Statements of Interest may be submitted at any time for consideration on a rolling basis up until the deadline of April 30, 2022 at 11:59 PM Bishkek time. Awards will be made pending the availability of funds.
Background: The Public Affairs Section (PAS) at the U.S. Embassy Bishkek is soliciting Statements of Interest for grants from:
- Kyrgyz Republic-registered:
- Not-for-profit organizations,
- Civil society/non-governmental organizations,
- Think tanks,
- Public and private not-for-profit educational institutions,
- Individuals, and
- U.S. non-governmental organizations (NGOs), educational institutions, and individuals seeking funding to support cultural and/or educational programs in the Kyrgyz Republic and partnering with Kyrgyz Republic-registered organizations. Applications with no clear description of a Kyrgyz-Republic-registered partner and its role in the proposed project will be rejected on the pre-screening stage.
Applicants should pay close attention to the Public Affairs Section’s priorities and goals, and target audiences, when developing their proposals. Due to the volume of applicants and inquiries, PAS does not accept letters of intent, concept papers, or requests for meetings prior to application.
This funding opportunity addresses the following topics: Combating Transnational Threats, Sustainable Economic Growth, and Accountable Governance and Stability.
Goals of PAS Grants Program:
PAS invites proposals for programs that strengthen ties between the United States and Kyrgyz Republic and support a priority program area (see below) in order to highlight shared values and promote bilateral cooperation. All proposed programs must include an American element, either through a connection with American expert/s, organization/s, or institution/s, usage of American educational/informational resources, or any other activities that promote or contribute to increased mutual understanding between the people of the United States and people of the Kyrgyz Republic.
PAS invites proposals for programs that support one of the following U.S. Embassy strategic goals:
1) Combating Transnational Threats
PAS is seeking proposals that strengthen regional security and stability and combat transnational threats through engagement with diverse, targeted stakeholders on key issues like violent extremism, human trafficking, and emergency preparedness, incorporating American informational, educational, or cultural resources. This goal could be advanced through lines of effort such as to:
- Improve communication and coordination between civil society, local communities, and the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic to prevent radicalization and/or combat violent extremism;
- Develop skills that provide alternative opportunities to individuals who may be drawn to radicalization to increase in their economic and societal integration within their communities;
- Increase resilience of at-risk groups to the allure of extremist messages and recruitment attempts through messaging about the dangers of violent extremism;
- Raise awareness among vulnerable populations on human trafficking;
- Increase societal resilience to public health concerns, including by promoting the importance of COVID-19 vaccination; or
- Foster dialogue among key stakeholders, including civil society, about preparedness for climate change related challenges.
2) Sustainable Economic Growth
PAS is seeking proposals that build inclusive economic prosperity upon regional connectivity and sustainable solutions to human capital, energy, and environmental challenges, using American informational, educational, or cultural resources. This goal could be advanced through lines of effort such as to:
- Reduce barriers to economic participation, particularly among youth, women, and underserved groups;
- Develop programs and tools for small and medium businesses; or
- Build support for sustainable natural resource management and/or adoption of cleaner energy sources and technologies.
3) Accountable Governance and Stability
PAS is seeking proposals that advance more accountable, inclusive governance underpinning a stable Kyrgyz Republic, using American informational, educational, or cultural resources. This goal could be advanced through lines of effort such as to:
- Strengthen civil society and independent media organizations’ capacity through facilitating connections, relationships, and opportunities to collaborate;
- Educate citizens on rights and protections, contributing to a culture of respect for rule of law and reduced corruption;
- Increase effectiveness of citizen oversight of political processes and government, regulations, budget processes, and activities;
- More effective collaboration between citizens and government bodies, resulting in improved policy formation, governance, and service delivery;
- Better access to civically-relevant information for Kyrgyz citizens through better quality and quantity of locally produced, locally relevant, and balanced media products.
Content and Form of Statement of Interest Submission
Please follow all instructions below carefully. Proposals that do not meet the requirements of this announcement or fail to comply with the stated requirements will be ineligible.
Applicants are recommended to use the APS Statement of Interest template to submit their application.
- The Statement of Interest clearly addresses the goals, audiences, and objectives of this notice. Applicants may choose to use the attached Statement of Interest template (Attachment 1) to submit their concept paper application.
- All documents are in English.
- All budgets are in U.S. dollars. Applicants may choose to use the Budget Proposal template in Attachment 1 to submit the short budget proposal.
- All applicant authorized signatures are provided where indicated on the various, required forms.
- Statements of Interest, including the short budget proposal, cannot exceed three pages.
All Statements of Interest should address the following areas:
- Explain the problem your project will address and why this project is needed.
- Give a short summary that outlines your proposed project.
- List your project goal and objectives. The “goal” describes what the project is intended to achieve. The “objectives” refer to the intermediate accomplishments on the way to the goals. These should be achievable and measurable.
- Describe a sample project activity and how it will help achieve the objectives.
- Describe the expected results of the program.
- Provide a short, but clear overview of expected costs/expenses associated with the project activities.
U.S. Embassy Bishkek will review all Statements of Interest and invite shortlisted projects to submit full grant applications as described in the Notice of Funding Opportunity, Section E: Technical Requirements for application submission: Second Round.
Shortlisted organizations and individuals are recommended to check the Applicant Checklist attachment to confirm their eligibility, required registrations and ensure that their applications contain all required forms.
Note: any files over 10MB will be automatically rejected by the email system.
Brief instruction on how to find the APS on Grants.gov:
- Open grants.gov site;
- Click on SEARCH GRANTS tab;
- Search by opportunity # STATE-BISHKEK-PAS-22-0001;
- Click on RELATED DOCUMENTS tab;
- Download APS instruction, application, TOC, and budget templates;
- Fill out the application following instructions in APS; and
- Submit proposal to BishkekProjectProposals@state.gov or via grants.gov.