The Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the U.S. Embassy Bishkek is pleased to announce funding is available as specified below through the Embassy’s Public Diplomacy Grants program. Applications may be submitted at any time for consideration on a rolling basis up until the deadline of August 2, 2021 at 11:59 PM Bishkek time. Awards will be made pending the availability of funds.
Background: The Public Affairs Section (PAS) at the U.S. Embassy Bishkek is soliciting proposals for grants from:
- Kyrgyz Republic-registered:
- Not-for-profit organizations,
- Civil society/non-governmental organizations,
- Think tanks,
- Public and private educational institutions,
- Public International Organizations and Governmental institutions; and,
- U.S. non-governmental organizations (NGOs), educational institutions, and individuals seeking funding to support cultural and/or educational programs in the Kyrgyz Republic and partnering with Kyrgyz Republic-registered organizations.
- Kyrgyz Republic-registered:
Applicants should pay close attention to the Public Affairs Section’s goals, priorities, and target audiences when developing their proposals. Due to the volume of applicants and inquiries, PAS does not accept letters of intent, concept papers, or requests for meetings prior to application.
This funding opportunity addresses the following topics: Countering Violent Extremism and Security, Promoting Business and Free Markets, and Promoting Democracy and Stability.
Goals of PAS Grants Program:
PAS invites proposals for programs that support one of the following U.S. Embassy strategic goals:
1) Countering Violent Extremism and Security – PAS Bishkek is seeking proposals that strengthen regional security and stability and combat transnational threats through engagement with diverse stakeholders advocating for greater cooperation in countering human trafficking and violent extremism. This goal can be advanced through the following lines of effort:
- Improve communication and coordination between civil society, local communities, and the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic to prevent radicalization and/or combat violent extremism;
- Develop skills that provide alternative opportunities to individuals who may be drawn to radicalization to increase in their economic and societal integration within their communities;
- Increase resilience of at-risk groups to the allure of extremist messages and recruitment attempts through messaging about the dangers of violent extremism;
- Encourage positive dialogue about methods for threat reduction;
- Increase in content that educates about the risks of recruitment; or
- Educate populations on human trafficking.
2) Promoting Business and Free Markets – PAS Bishkek is seeking proposals that strengthen entrepreneurship and small business development initiatives through reduction of barriers to economic participation, particularly among youth, women, and under-represented groups, as well as development of programs and tools for small and medium businesses.
3) Promoting Democracy and Stability – PAS Bishkek is seeking proposals that support a more inclusive and accountable democracy in one of the following ways:
- Strengthen civil society and independent media organizations’ capacity through facilitating connections, relationships, and opportunities to collaborate;
- Educate citizens on rights and protections;
- Increase effectiveness of citizen oversight of political processes and government, regulations, budget processes, and activities;
- More effective collaboration between citizens and government bodies, resulting in improved policy formation, governance, and service delivery;
- Better access to civically-relevant information for Kyrgyz citizens through better quality and quantity of locally produced, locally relevant, and balanced media products.
Project proposals may include the following or other innovative strategies to realize the goals given above:
- Peace-building programs that promote tolerance, leadership development, youth and women’s empowerment, diversity and inclusion. Such projects should strengthen ties between the United States and the Kyrgyz Republic or on a regional basis between Central Asian countries;
- Arts, culture, and sports programs that deepen ties between the Kyrgyz Republic and the U.S. and improve understanding ofS. culture and values;
- English-language programs that promote the use and spread of the English language to increase the professional level of government officials, educators, and civil society, including disadvantaged students, and to provide better access to English-language sources of information;
- Educational programs that focus on raising awareness and knowledge, training soft and professional skills;
- Media strengthening and information literacy programs that develop Kyrgyz-language media, fact-checking and research for journalists or media consumers, capitalize on social media use for greater transparency, and/or expand such programs to rural and remote areas of the Kyrgyz Republic;
- Improving quality of media content on such topics as democracy and freedom, human rights, rule of law, civic education and advocacy, and protection of the environment and how the U.S. promotes those values through USG-supported programs; capitalizing on social media use for greater transparency and/or expanding such programs to rural and remote areas of the Kyrgyz Republic;
- Expanding outreach to Kyrgyz-speaking audiences; or
- Innovation, entrepreneurship, and economic empowerment programs that develop innovative ideas involving STEAM, space, social entrepreneurship, adaptive technologies, rural economic development, economic diversification, women’s empowerment, corporate social responsibility, access to finance, and support for entrepreneurs.
Content and Form of Application Submission
Applicants are recommended to use the APS proposal template to submit their application.
- Proposal clearly addresses the goals, audiences, and objectives of this notice.
- All documents are in English. Applicants may choose to supplement their proposals with Russian or Kyrgyz versions, but final grant agreements will be concluded in English.
- All budgets are in U.S. dollars.
- All applicant authorized signatures are provided where indicated on the various, required forms.
Note: any files over 10MB will be automatically rejected by the email system.
Brief instruction how to find the APS on Grants.gov:
- Open grants.gov site
- Click on SEARCH GRANTS tab
- Search by opportunity # STATE-BISHKEK-PAS-21-0001
- Open the APS
- Click on RELATED DOCUMENTS tab
- Download APS instruction, application, TOC, and budget templates
- Fill out the application following instructions in APS
- Submit proposal to BishkekProjectProposals@state.gov.