Subject: Ongoing unrest and demonstrations
Location: Central Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Event: There is a likelihood that demonstrations that began overnight on August 8 may continue over the weekend. Groups protesting the arrest of former president Atambayev, independent citizen groups protecting residences and businesses, as well as law enforcement troops were involved in clashes in downtown Bishkek overnight from August 8 – 9. Press reports that more demonstrators may be arriving in Bishkek and the chance of unrest and further violence remains high.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid central Bishkek, including government buildings and main arteries leading to the center. U.S. government personnel have been advised to avoid downtown Bishkek from the evening of Friday August 9 until Monday August 12.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid downtown Bishkek.
- Avoid large crowds, gatherings, and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings and local security developments.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media.
- U.S. Embassy Bishkek
- 171 Prospect Mira
Telephone: +(996)(312) 597-000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(996)(312) 597-733
Fax: +(996)(312) 597-744
- Kyrgyzstan Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter