Location: Central Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Event: There is a likelihood that demonstrations that began the afternoon of October 5 may continue overnight. Groups protesting the Parliamentary elections and law enforcement troops were involved in clashes in downtown Bishkek this evening. There are reports of tear gas, stun grenades and rubber bullets in the downtown area surrounding Ala Too Square. Additional demonstrations and law enforcement response may continue overnight, the chance of unrest and further violence remains high.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid central Bishkek, including government buildings and main arteries leading to the center.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid downtown Bishkek.
- Avoid large crowds, gatherings, and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings and local security developments.
- Keep a low profile.
- Monitor local media.
- U.S. Embassy Bishkek
- 171 Prospect Mira
Telephone: +(996)(312) 597-000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(996)(312) 597-733
Fax: +(996)(312) 597-744
- Email: email@example.com
- Kyrgyzstan Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter