Ask a COVID-19 Question
Last updated: 1/19/21
*** Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. Embassy Bishkek advises U.S. citizens not to travel to the Kyrgyz Republic.
- Medical services have struggled to provide adequate care for serious cases of COVID-19. The healthcare system in the Kyrgyz Republic faces limitations and adequate care may not be available everywhere. United States citizens in the Kyrgyz Republic should continue to follow CDC recommendations for preventing infection.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in the Kyrgyz Republic? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
- The Ministry of Health provides free testing only for symptomatic patients. For those requiring a negative PCR test for travel, state laboratories in Bishkek and Osh can provide tests for a fee (approximately $20), depending on testing capacity. Private COVID-19 testing is also available for a fee ($30) at Bonetsky Laboratory or Aqualab. Please contact the laboratory directly to inquire about their testing capacity. All four labs deliver results via email, and include a QR-code to verify the authenticity of the test results.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of the Kyrgyz Republic approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? No
- The United States Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Information from the CDC regarding COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- The Government of the Kyrgyz Republic lifted the entry ban on U.S. citizen travelers on December 4, 2020. United States citizen travelers may now enter the country via international airports in Bishkek, Osh, and Issyk Kul. Note that travel across land borders for U.S citizens is not permitted at this time.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
- Kyrgyzstan now requires travelers to have negative PCR test results, with the test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival into Kyrgyzstan. Travelers without valid PCR results will be denied entry. If your PCR test expires en route due to flight delays or cancellations you will be required to test again upon arrival at your own expense.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- The Government of the Kyrgyz Republic wants to remind foreign citizens that you may remain in the Kyrgyz Republic until the emergency situation ends without requiring an exit visa or extending your registration. U.S. citizens whose visas or registration are expired will not be required to pay a fine or obtain an exit visa upon departure while the emergency situation persists. The Visa Service Center of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is closed for in person visitors but open for phone or email consultation at +312-66-30-70, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Limited commercial flights continue with flights operating to Dubai, Istanbul, and Moscow. Please monitor the individual airlines websites or contact the airlines directly for any questions about ticket availability. Flights are frequently cancelled with little notice.
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Bishkek city public transport operates on weekdays and weekends from 7:00 – 23:00.
- Masks are required on public transit.
Fines for Non-Compliance: N/A
- Appointments are available for all American Citizen Services Mon-Wed on a bi-weekly basis. Please send an email to email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- Only limited and emergency visa services are offered at this time.