International Education Week is an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. This joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education aims to promote international understanding and build support for international educational exchange by promoting programs that prepare Americans to live and work in a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences in the United States. International Education Week was first held in 2000, and today it is celebrated in more than 100 countries worldwide.
As Secretary of State John Kerry noted during his visit to Bishkek on October 31 at the opening ceremony of the new campus of the American University of Central Asia, we face many challenges today, from violent extremism to climate change to promoting shared prosperity, and, “Education is the key to solving all of these problems.” For more of Secretary Kerry’s thoughts, please read the full speech here: http://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/2015/10/249044.htm, and enjoy this video of his remarks on education at AUCA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsHYfsNNwQ
Those interested in studying in the United States are welcome to sign up online for our Virtual College Fair on November 18, where representatives of more than 4,500 accredited colleges and universities in the United States will be available live to share information about their schools and answer questions from international students. https://goo.gl/1Xu63I
To celebrate International Education Week locally, The U.S. Embassy in Bishkek invites anyone interested in educational opportunities in the United States to participate in the following events at our American Corners:
- November 18 at 3:00 p.m. – Osh American Corner – “Online College Week Live” webchat with our EducationUSA adviser
- November 19 at 2:00 p.m. – Kant American Corner – “Education in the United States and Kyrgyzstan” with Peace Corps Volunteers
- November 19 at 4:00 p.m. – Bishkek American Corner – “Using Mobile Apps and Web Resources to Empower Your Learning” with our English Language Fellow
- November 20 at 4:00 p.m. – Naryn American Corner – “UGRAD Program” with Peace Corps Volunteers and exchange program alumni
- November 20 at 2:00 p.m. – Talas American Corner – “UGRAD Program” with Peace Corps Volunteers and exchange program alumni
- November 20 at 4:00 p.m. – Bishkek American Corner – “Education in the United States” with our EducationUSA adviser
Contact information and addresses for all of the American Corners may be found on our website.
We look forward to seeing you there!