An official website of the United States government


Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A child born outside the United States to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may be eligible for U.S. citizenship if the parent(s) meets the requirements for transmitting U.S. citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act.  U.S. citizens eligible to transmit citizenship are required to file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).  Click here to make an appointment to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

To process a CRBA application, the following original documents must be submitted: (copies are not acceptable; however, certified true copies of some originals may be accepted, depending upon the type of document).

  • Child’s official birth certificate: one original and one certified copy, with English translation (must show child’s name and parent(s) name).
  • Completed (but not signed) Form DS-2029 Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad(all questions must be answered).
  • Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the U.S. prior to the child’s birth.
  • Evidence of the parent(s)’ U.S. citizenship (current U.S. passport, or naturalization certificate).
  • Evidence of both parent(s)’ identity (passport, or government issued ID card with photo and signature).
  • Parents’ registered marriage certificate (if applicable): one original and one certified copy, with English translation.
  • Evidence of termination of any previous marriages (if applicable): one original and one certified copy, with English translation.
  • Processing fee – $100 (fees are subject to change).

If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, then the U.S. citizen parent must provide evidence that they were physically present in the United States for five years, two of which occurred after the age of 14.  Original copies of educational transcripts, proof of active-duty military service, and other documents may be accepted. All records must indicate complete dates (such as month, day, year). Please contact the Consular Section if you have any questions about suitable documents.

Additional information about establishing an official record of your child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth is available on the Department of State website.  Please review the detailed information on the acquisition of U.S. citizenship depending on marital situation and citizenship of the parent(s) on the main webpage of the Consular Affairs Bureau of the Department of State.

The CRBA application must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we strongly recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. A CRBA is not a travel document. Please note that CRBA is not a birth certificate and serves as a citizenship proof document which does not expire.  Only the Embassy or Consulate in the country where the child was born can issue the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

For children born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father, the father must formally acknowledge parentage and agree to support the child through age 18 as well as fulfill the U.S. physical presence requirement stated above. Form DS-5507 (PDF 36 KB) applies.