Kyrgyz Visa and Registration Update
On April 30, the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic announced that foreigners may remain in the Kyrgyz Republic until June 1, 2020 without requiring an exit visa. U.S. citizens whose visas or registration are expired will not be required to pay a fine or obtain an exit visa upon departure before June 1, 2020. This measure was implemented due to the difficulty for foreign citizens to depart the Kyrgyz Republic on time as a result of the restrictive travel measures as well as the temporary suspension of international flights due to the spread of COVID-19. The State Registration Service announced that foreign citizens who want to extend their stay in the territory of the Kyrgyz Republic must renew their registration within ten business days after the end of the state of emergency.
State of Emergency Extension
The State of Emergency in Bishkek, Osh, Jalal-Abad and Naryn has been extended until May 10. A curfew remains in place from 9pm to 6am. We remind American citizens to abide by the State of Emergency restrictions and to obey orders from Kyrgyz law enforcement.
Starting May 1 the government plans a phased approach of re-opening certain sectors of the economy. On May 1, businesses such as car repair shops, hairdressing, and taxi services will be permitted to operate. Starting May 11, some public transportation will be begin running.
A charter flight for American citizens and other qualified travelers successfully left Kyrgyzstan on April 20. This was likely to be the last opportunity to depart Kyrgyzstan until commercial flights resume. U.S. citizens who remain in Kyrgyzstan should prepare to shelter in place until normal commercial flight routes resume. Turkish Airlines has announced that they will not operate any commercial flights until at least May 28.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website, for the most up-to-date information regarding enhanced screening procedures.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the Kyrgyz Republic.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Bishkek
171 Prospect Mira
Telephone: +(996)(312) 597-000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(996)(312) 597-733
Fax: +(996)(312) 597-744
- Kyrgyzstan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter