About the Program
U.S. Embassy Bishkek announces the 2023 Book Translation Program Grants. Complete Statements of Interest must be submitted by April 30, 2023. This program supports local publishing houses, academic institutions, and non-governmental organizations to publish books by American authors and/or books reflecting U.S. values, translated into the Kyrgyz language or jointly into Kyrgyz and English languages. The program provides funding for the copyright acquisition (if required), translation, printing, and distribution of the title, along with follow-up programming, such as trainings, master classes, website creation, contests, etc. PDS expects to fund two to three awards with an average award amount of $30,000 to $45,000 per title, with a minimum print run of 7,000 copies. Books will be distributed by the grantee, U.S. Embassy, and partners to educational institutions, public libraries, and American Spaces throughout the Kyrgyz Republic. The Book Translation Program will award grants on a competitive basis, pending on the availability of funds.
FY2023 proposals may include fiction or nonfiction titles and must focus on one or more of the following themes:
- STEAM: Books that support education in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, as well as these subjects’ integration with Art. This integration, known as STEAM, focuses on teaching scientific concepts through creative, project-based learning. For example, a STEAM project may ask students to illustrate a complex biological process through a visually appealing collage.
- Inclusivity: Books that highlight or promote U.S. values, including the importance of equal access to education, employment, and professional development opportunities and fair treatment for excluded or marginalized populations, such as people with disabilities or people belonging to minority or economically disadvantaged groups.
For more detailed information on program’s requirements, target audiences, goals, and objectives, please see the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) attached.
Statements of Interests must be submitted in English, but applicants may choose to supplement their proposals with Russian or Kyrgyz versions, and final grant agreements will be concluded in English. Applicants should pay close attention to the Program’s goals and objectives, priority program areas, target audiences when developing their proposals.
First Round: Statements of Interest Submission
Please follow all instructions below carefully. Statements of Interest that do not meet the requirements of this announcement or fail to comply with the stated requirements will be disqualified.
Each Statement of Interest must:
- Clearly indicate the grant priority theme to which it is being submitted for consideration;
- Focus on key audiences specified in the NOFO;
- Identify specific outcomes to be achieved by the end of the grant period;
- Provide a plan for program outcomes, including social media outreach and monitoring, where applicable; and
- Provide an approximate funding amount along with a short budget proposal.
- The Statement of Interest clearly addresses the goals, audiences, and objectives of this notice. Applicants may choose to use the attached Statement of Interest template (Attachment 1) to submit their concept paper application.
- All documents are in English.
- All budgets are in U.S. dollars. Applicants are encouraged to use the Budget Proposal template in Attachment 1 to submit the short budget proposal.
- All applicant authorized signatures are provided where indicated on the various required forms.
- Statements of Interest, including the short budget proposal, cannot exceed three pages.
Please send Statements of Interest to BishkekProjectProposals@state.gov with the subject line “Book Translation Program SOI” by April 30, 2023. Statements of Interest can also be submitted using Grants.gov following the instructions on the NOFO.
Second Round: Technical Requirements for Application Submission
U.S. Embassy Bishkek will review all Statements of Interest and invite only shortlisted projects to submit full grant packages as described in the Notice of Funding Opportunity, Section E: Technical Requirements for application submission: Second Round.
Only invited shortlisted candidates will be asked to send a complete application, which consists of:
- SF424 and SF424a;
- Applicant Organizational Information Sheet;
- Application form;
- Budget proposal;
- Monitoring and Evaluation Data Sheet
- One-page CV for key project personnel (Note: Please do not include personal information such as dates of birth or home addresses); and,
- NGO’s copy of registration at the Ministry of Justice of the Kyrgyz Republic
Shortlisted applicants will be informed regarding the due date for full application submission. Any applications submitted after the due date, submitted incomplete, do not follow the application format, or are not submitted on the templates provided, will be disqualified.
Note: any files over 10MB will be automatically rejected by the email system.
For more information please contact the Book Translation Program Team at the U.S. Embassy in Bishkek by email at BishkekProjectProposals@state.gov.